Inspiration

This is an art blog where I discuss the work I am inspired to make. Not a political blog. But in the past few weeks my inspiration has not been on my work, on my beloved hand embroidery but on Barack Obama. I have tried for weeks not to put my political views on the line for fear of offending someone who doesn't share my opinion but since I am still working on the dreaded table runner which I must finish today here goes.

When John F. Kennedy was killed I was 4 years old. My mother had me watching his funeral for days. He meant that much to her. 5 years later when I was 9 she had me watching the train going through California after Bobby had been shot. He meant that much to her too. She was inspired by their vision. Now as an adult I can look back at those moments in history and realize that they were part of the history of my childhood too. The idealism, the dream. That is why they are memories of my childhood, because these men inspired my mother enough for her to immerse herself in the end of the dream.

Now it is 40 years later and I am immersed in a dream. A chance for our country to be what it should have been 40 years ago. A chance to carry forward the optimism and the inspiration. A chance to believe anything is possible. That the only ingredient missing in our country is hope and the ability to take a huge risk and the faith to follow it through. I think Obama represents to me the hope and optimism and the idea that anything is possible. I cry when I watch him speak. I cried when I saw Caroline Kennedy endorsing him. One dream endorsing another. It's huge. I have been unable to break myself away from my television, from my political blogs, from my alternate life commenting anonymously on politics(and no I won't tell you where).

So here I am commenting on my alternative life, on my second passion. Politics. On the reasons why I have deviated from my standard talk of hand embroidery and knitting and crochet. The reasons why I have not been posting on my blog. Because I have been inspired to dream and believe in something bigger then myself.

I hope I have not offended you but if you have not watched an Obama rally and you have not been an Obama supporter, watch him speak, be inspired. And then let your logical cynical side go to his website, read his plans for the future. If you come to a different conclusion then I have so be it. But this cynical political junkie felt she had to put her dreams and inspirations down on her blog. At the moment I have to believe anything is possible so there it goes.

Vote in your primary no matter who you vote for, let your voice be heard. Keep stitchin.

Comments

dianeclancy said…
Hi Debra Ann,

I am crying as I read your post! I am a little older than you and I remember JFK so well ... I was still a child but he represented so much hope for us.

I too am inspired by Obama in that my partner and I sit there crying with hope and joy as we watch him.

He also reminds me of the hope I felt around Martin Luther King. I am more hopeful than I have been for decades about politics.

Thank you!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog
Michelle said…
I've heard so many people say the same thing about Barack. How wonderful that he is such an inspiration!

By the way, you've been tagged!
Anonymous said…
Your post is so beautiful, it really is inspiring. My was an infant was JFK was killed, but the impact on my mother was huge. It made a huge impression on me, even when I was a child.

I thought the debate last night between Hillary and Obama was great. I like when two Democrats act civil, polite and actual talk about the issues. I was proud to be a Democrat. The Republicans love the fighting that goes on, and feed off that kind of negativity. We do need change desperately in this country. I too share your vision of hope and joy of a new country. The way America should be.
XOXOXO
JFK and his vision of a truly just and democratic world infused the dreams of a lot of people across the world. He represented the America we all loved growing up...even in Lebanon where there are major landmarks bearing his name/legacy.

I too am enthused by the vibrancy of hope that Barak Obama brings into this distressing world. He embodies a much needed forward change and a return to truly democratic values. I am so grateful for your post and your sincerity. Let's all make it happen! Yay!!
Hey, Debra, I was 4 years old just like you when JFK was assassinated. I have powerful memories of watching my mother sob as the news played on TV and the phone rang off the hook.

Yes, we can!
Tangled Stitch said…
Thanks for all the lovely comments. Sometimes I really wish I could stick to the art talk instead of the politics but what can I say I've been politically inspired during a time when I've been artistically challenged.

Back to work and will be back on Wednesday with some new photos and talk about hand embroidery (not even crochet as I've finished the dreaded runner).

Popular posts from this blog

The Blessings Of Ovation

More Ornaments

Joy