Buy Local and Handmade



Hi All! This is another of my bird hand embroideries. It is the Tanager. It is for sale at the Valley Artisan's Market. It is hand embroidered on watercolored muslin.

I'd just like to take a moment to remind you that during this terrible time in the economy you and I can do something to help. We can shop local and buy handmade. A few weeks ago my husband and I went to the Adirondack Museum in Blue Lake. It was a wonderful day. The thing I most take back from our day trip was the beautiful handmade everyday items and how they have stood the test of time. The beautiful canoes which are centuries old. The beautiful quilts in the quilt show currently there. The beautiful furniture, the beautiful linens. Just about everything you can imagine is there and is sustaining all this time later. I dare to mention that in our current society everything is disposable. The years of having a car or a refrigerator or a washer or dryer that lasts decades is over. Now we buy things cheaply with the knowledge that we will only have to buy a new one in a couple of years. But that is where handmade and local comes in. If you buy a scarf in any one of those megastores it will only last you through one season, if you buy a fabulous hand made scarf it will be loved for as long as you want to love it. If you want apples go to your local orchard and then you will see that even produce is fresher and more delicious if it doesn't spend days running down the food chain.

My computer is still not working so I will stop preaching and get back to embroidering, but while the whole economic system is crashing like my computer and our elected politicians are not capable of doing anything to stop it. We are our best hope! Buy local and handmade!

Comments

HI LOVE BLOG I ALSO HAVE A BLOG CALLED BEING REAL IN A PLASTIC WORLD ID REALLY LIKE FOR A PROS OPINION AND NO IM NOT FLUFFIN YOU UP
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

The Blessings Of Ovation

More Ornaments

Joy